Translate

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Feast of Ss. Peter & Paul 2010

The Catholic Church celebrates the Feast of Ss Peter and Paul today. These two great Apostles died a martyrdom under Nero on different dates. Since 258, their feast has been celebrated on June 29 in Rome because on that day, their remains were collected and moved to Via Appia ad Catacumbas. The importance of these two pillars of the Church cannot be adequately explained here. Rather, we should meditate on their deeds and find strength to handle our daily dealings. Outside the Bible, there is an apocrypha called Acts of Peter and Paul, which supplies us with details about the rest of their lives.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing
(2 Timothy 4:7-8).
I am still running, but rather aimlessly. Throughout my life, I have been collecting and gathering a lot of books to feed my curiosity. Alas! Life and energy are short in supply. Perhaps I should narrow down my choices and set my target.
Do I want a crown of righteousness? Not quite. Do I want to see that Day come soon? Not quite. Here, I am a bit selfish and want to tarry a bit longer all because I have not yet set my target. By the day my target is set, surely I want to reach it fast. In the meantime, I will continue to shop around.
At the present moment, I still have three more years of theology study and five more years of teaching to do, if God allows me. These two are my current short-term targets. Surely, I will put up a good fight to reach these targets. Finishing these, I will evaluate my situation to continue the next target. If God allows, I will serve Him and the Church as a permanent deacon. Let this be my final target. Amen.

Dear Lord, You have put me on my course thus far. Be with me to finish the race so that at the finishing line, I can keep my faith in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment