Translate

Sunday 25 July 2010

A Display of Force

I am capable but not confident. That is why I have been caught unprepared. For eight years, I have given up the idea of becoming a permanent deacon. The call from God caught me unprepared when I accompanied the Vicar General to Shung Tak to celebrate her Golden Jubilee in 2008. Yesterday, I only intended to attend the ordination ceremony of 4 permanent deacons. Again, I was caught unprepared to walk along with all other aspirants and candidates in a procession to enter the Cathedral. After 17 years of hard work, the Vicar General must be very satisfied to see this long queue of procession. Leading the procession were altar boys and girls from the parishes the 4 deacon designates have served. We, the aspirants and candidates followed. Then the 9 permanent deacons, 59 priests and the bishop. It was truly a display of force, a coup de foudre.

13 Deacons and the Vicar General
It was 2:10 p.m. and I was on the bus approaching the Cathedral. I delayed my lunch because I expected the ceremony to last for more than 2 hours. The telephone rang. It was Cosmas. On the phone, he told me to meet him in the sacristy as soon as possible. In fact, the sacristy is not big enough for so many concelebrants and deacons. Everybody gathered and changed their vestment in a bigger room on the ground floor of the parish building instead. I saw that my deacon companions had all put on their alb. I clumsily put one on. Joe Lee, one of the aspirants, helped me tied up the cincture (girdle). We were singing the entrance hymn even outside the Cathedral. But by the time I put my step on the marble of the porch, I was totally absorbed and truly felt how much I aspired to serve God and the Church.

In the monthly deacon meeting this afternoon, many of us shared how much we were touched and moved throughout the ceremony yesterday. On top of many rounds of applause, there were a lot of joyful tears. The ordination liturgy was beautiful and lifted up our hearts. In particular, the 9 deacons were seated with the bishop at the altar to highlight their role as helpers of the bishop while the concelebrants seated below. Unlikely previous occasions in which only one representative delivered the valedictory speech, each of the 4 deacons made their own one by one. They thanked many people, especially their wives and family members for their support. The wives and one younger sister (because one of the deacons is single) also shared with the congregation how they accompanied the deacons in their search and formation. It was heart warming. When it was time for peace greeting, the newly ordained deacons embraced the 9 deacons whole-heartedly. As for me, I was very much moved when I sang the hymn Suscipe Domine by St. Ignatius. Lord, I surrender my all to You, my capability, my will and my freedom. I was uncertain but now I am more determined.

The gospel readings of the last few weeks help me see better. The Good Samaritan tells me to break out of my egocentricity. Do not ask, like the teacher of law, "Who is my neighbour?". Rather, put yourself into the shoes of the needy and ask who the neighbour of the needy is (Luke 10:36). Do not ask, like Martha, Jesus to tell Mary to help out. Rather, choose the good portion to come close to Jesus (Luke 10:42). Again, this morning, Fr. Martin Ip explained the seemingly egocentric passage and pointed out the altruistic message behind.
And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened
(Luke 11:9-10).
Ask not for our own good. Rather, ask for the needs of the needy. Abraham bargained with God, perhaps for his nephew Lot (Genesis 18:23-32). But he was trying to save other inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah as well. Abraham's plea was not at all selfish. Similarly, when it is beyond our capacity to help, pray to God and He has promised to answer our pleas.
The quotation from one of the wives of the newly ordained deacon was particularly enlightening.
But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him," (1 Corinthians 2:9).
God has reserved for us good things we even dare not to dream of! I worry about my health conditions. But one of the deacons has undergone heart bypass surgery. One of the deacons' wife is suffering from cancer. These I learned in the sharing meeting this afternoon. My DM is trivial! The Vicar General made a passing comment, which sounded very reassuring. When we take up the deacon office, God will grant us extraordinary graces to overcome all obstacles to fulfill our duties. Amen.

Dear Lord, You have prepared and equipped me to serve You for so many years. It is high time I took my step forward. Steady my legs. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment