Translate

Sunday 1 August 2010

Seek God's will

What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him (1 Corinthians 2:9).
This verse is not found in the Sunday readings today. Rather it echoes what is deeply felt by us. God is elusive and reticent. That is why most of us are caught unprepared for the good things He has prepared for us. During the Entrance Antiphon, tears gushed from Mary's eyes when we sang Psalm 113. Wulstan chose the hymns.
From the rising of the sun to its setting the name of the LORD is to be praised! (Psalm 113:3)

Life is full of contradictions. This is amply illustrated by the first reading taken from Ecclesiastes.
Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity (Ecclesiastes 1:2).
Fr. Milanese pointed out to us that this book belonged to the Wisdom Literature of the Hebrew Scripture. It was one of the five scrolls to be read during different Jewish festivals. And this one was read during the Feast of Tabernacles. The author laments that Death is the Great Equalizer. No matter you are a king or a beggar, a philosopher or an animal, death will come to take them all. You did not bring a penny with you into this world. Neither will you be able to take a penny with you when you leave.
a man who has toiled with wisdom and knowledge and skill must leave all to be enjoyed by a man who did not toil for it. This also is vanity and a great evil (Ecclesiastes 2:21).
The philosophy of Ecclesiastes is actually not as pessimistic as it appears. Fr. Milanese encouraged the congregation to read the whole book in order to appreciate its wisdom. While death will equalize all, we can live and enjoy our life to the full. Seize the moment and God will take care of the rest. Christians have the advantage of leading a new life in Christ. Our toils will not be in vain.

In the gospel reading today, a man asked Jesus to bid his brother to divide the inheritance. Usually, we interpret the motive of the man as one of greed. However, I have another interpretation. I am sympathetic with the man who probably thought that his brother was wasting the inheritance. The man had talent in managing the estate but was deprived of the opportunity. He asked Jesus to intervene. I am the man. I feel that my talents have not been fully utilized.
But what did Jesus answer?
But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or divider over you?" 
And he said to them, "Take heed, and beware of all covetousness; for a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke 12:14-15)
Beware of all covetousness!
Jesus does not make himself a judge over us. Alex, you are truly talented. Opportunities are abound. Don't ask the Lord to give me opportunities. Rather, seize the moment, seize the opportunities yourself. My life does not consist in the abundance of my achievements. Instead, my life consists in serving the Lord, in doing God's will. Seek God's will. He has prepared for me good things I even dare to dream of.

My Lord, I thank You for taking care of Mary. I offer up my praises with her. You have opened the path You have set in front of her. Strengthen my steps so that I may march on mine. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment