Translate

Sunday 9 May 2010

Sixth Easter Sunday (Year C)

Today is Mother's Day. The Church gave out blessings and carnations to mothers during masses. Some years ago, a gentleman came out to receive the blessing, carrying a baby on his back. The priest did not hesitate to bless him. Perhaps this gentleman was running a single-parent family, taking up the roles of both the father and mother. I don't remember seeing him come up on Father's Day again. Perhaps he attended Father's Day Mass elsewhere.
Every  year, our choir chose a different Canto-pop to sing praises to mothers. Luckily, we are not in short supply of these healthy songs. In fact, some of them are so touching that I could see tears in the eyes of some choir members today.

Fr. Lejeune celebrated the mass today. He did not bring up any special teachings today. His homily is plain and practical. He made the gospel reading today easy for us to understand.
Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him (John 14:23).
Jesus invited us to keep his word love him and he promised us eternal life when we do it. Of course, it is not easy to keep his commandment.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another (John 13:34).
To love someone is not difficult, but to love as Jesus has loved is not easy at all. To love as Jesus has loved means to love till it hurts. That is not easy. Therefore, Jesus promised us the Holy Spirit.
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you(John 14:26).
All of us have received the Holy Spirit in our baptism. The Holy Spirit lives in us and He helps us remember and understand Jesus' teaching. Not only does the Holy Spirit teach us, but He also empowers us to put Jesus' word into practice. Love drives away fear in our hearts and we will enjoy peace.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid (John 14:27).

Of course, peace does not come easily. When the early grew and admitted Gentiles among the Jewish believers, conflicts arose over the issue of circumcision. With the help of the Holy Spirit, the early Church survived an imminent schism. This was the outcome of the Jerusalem Council, the first ever ecumenical councils of the Church. Twenty one ecumenical councils have been held to settle thorny theological issues. The Second Vatican Council was held from 1962 to 1965. More than four decades have passed and the renewal initiatives have been implemented, not without resistance among the people of God. The Church is now more capable of engaging in dialogue with the world, to present the good news of Jesus in a more acceptable way to the contemporary ears. May the Church continue to be an effective sacrament for the salvation of the world. Amen.

Dear Lord, on this Mother's Day, I pray for my own mother and my wife. Have mercy on the fragile soul of my mother so that she may come out sober. Strength me through my wife. May she find joy in her children. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment