Translate

Saturday 27 February 2016

WHEN WILL DISASTERS STRIKE?

It is very difficult to repent. We focus on ourselves most of the time and seldom see the log in our eyes. Instead, we easily see the speck on our siblings, spouses, parents and colleagues. How true Jesus' observation is (Matthew 7:3-5). Even when we suffer anxiety and feel the need to seek help, we deny it is our problem.

Today, I listened to a couple who suffered from communication breakdown. Their marriage is undergoing a serious crisis which is precipitated by the demise of one of the parents of the couple. When A spoke, B cut A off in mid-sentence and started putting forth B's view without responding to A's emotion. When B pointed B's finger at A, A denied and claimed that B did not understand the whole truth ... While listening to them, I experienced a strong sense of déjà vu emerging. I have had communication breakdown myself before because I focused too much in my work and had failed to respond to my wife's frustrations. At the end of our session, I did not think the couple were willing to acknowledge that they had a communication problem. We three prayed together, holding our hands. May Jesus have mercy on the couple and me as well.

The prodigal son woke up and came to his senses when he was hungry, when his comfortable life ended, when he spent all his resources and there was nothing else to rely on. Only then did he remember his father (Luke 15:17). Do we really need to meet disasters in order to come to our senses? I am pessimistic. I think we do because most of us are so egocentric that we are unable to leave our comfort zone voluntarily unless disasters strike. Perhaps it would be too late.

Lord, have mercy on us. Have mercy on us couples. We do not have the strength to repent. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment