Translate

Tuesday 6 May 2008

Asking favours

I have put down the gospel of John for many days. It is time I returned to it.
On April 19, I mentioned the problem of translation in John 14:13-14. Today, I am puzzled by the translation of yet another verse in John 16:31.
Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? (RSV, Douay-Rheims)
Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe? (KJV)
respondit eis Iesus modo creditis (Vulgate)
耶穌回答說:「現在你們相信嗎?(思高)
ἀπεκρίθη αὐτοῖς Ἰησοῦς· ἄρτι πιστεύετε; (Nestle-Aland 27th edition)
The whole problem lies with the semi-colon in the Greek text. Semi-colon in Greek is the question mark. But in the early manuscripts, there were no punctuation marks. Just look at the Latin text. Without punctuation marks, it could be translated as:
answered them Jesus now you believe look comes hour and has come that you will be scattered every ...Alas! Even punctuation marks pose problem in translation!
The following table focuses on the word ASK. It is a reference for my future reflection. You may skip it.
καὶ ὅ τι ἂν αἰτήσητε ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου τοῦτο ποιήσω, ἵνα δοξασθῇ ὁ πατὴρ ἐν τῷ υἱῷ. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that glorified the Father may be in the Son; (14:13)
ἐάν τι αἰτήσητέ με ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου ἐγὼ ποιήσω. if you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (14:14)
ἐὰν μείνητε ἐν ἐμοὶ καὶ τὰ ῥήματά μου ἐν ὑμῖν μείνῃ, ὃ ἐὰν θέλητε αἰτήσασθε, καὶ γενήσεται ὑμῖν.If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, whatever you will ask, and it shall be done for you. (15:7)
οὐχ ὑμεῖς με ἐξελέξασθε, ἀλλʼ ἐγὼ ἐξελεξάμην ὑμᾶς καὶ ἔθηκα ὑμᾶς ἵνα ὑμεῖς ὑπάγητε καὶ καρπὸν φέρητε καὶ ὁ καρπὸς ὑμῶν μένῃ, ἵνα ὅ τι ἂν αἰτήσητε τὸν πατέρα ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου δῷ ὑμῖν.You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (15:16)
Καὶ ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐμὲ οὐκ ἐρωτήσετε οὐδέν. ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἄν τι αἰτήσητε τὸν πατέρα ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου δώσει ὑμῖν.In that day of me not you will ask nothing. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, in my name he will give it to you. (16:23)
ἕως ἄρτι οὐκ ᾐτήσατε οὐδὲν ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου• αἰτεῖτε καὶ λήμψεσθε, ἵνα ἡ χαρὰ ὑμῶν ᾖ πεπληρωμένη.Hitherto not you have asked nothing in my name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. (16:24)
ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου αἰτήσεσθε, καὶ οὐ λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐρωτήσω τὸν πατέρα περὶ ὑμῶν•In that day in my name you will ask; and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; (16:26)
We pray to Jesus and the Father. We seldom pray to the Holy Spirit. I think we should. Last Sunday, I was able to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation. It has been some years. I nearly forgot the proper procedure. Thank Eddie for revealing my sin. I was able to reconcile with God. I hope one day we can be reconciled.

Dear Holy Spirit, my Advocate, I hope You are residing in me. Grant me Your 7 gifts so that I may bear the fruits of Yours. May I continue to walk in the path of Peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment