Translate

Thursday 1 May 2008

Woes of a teacher

I thank Eddie Kwok for his candour. In a comment on the blog entry yesterday, he revealed my sin. I owe him an apology. However, no apology will ever be able to heal a wound inflicted on a young and confused soul for nearly 20 months.

One of the reasons why I don't want to teach RS in Chinese is clearly demonstrated in Eddie's case. Speaking in Cantonese, I may easily be carried away and speak some stupid things such as the remark I made to Eddie on the very first S3 RS lesson. I cannot remember the exact wording. But that is very minor. It was not what I actually said, but what Eddie heard that is the point. Eddie has been carrying my remark in his heart for nearly 20 months! If I were him, I would yell back immediately "It's none of your business. Go to hell." So, he really has been very tolerant to me already. What is worse, I do not know how many more stupid remarks I made to other students in my RS lessons. That probably explains why some girls do not like my RS lessons now! I might have hurt not just Eddie but many more.

A teacher has to be very careful all the time. With one careless remark, you trample a tender, promising soul under your feet to the effect that he becomes discouraged and disinterested in studies. It will boomerang and haunt you in the future. The first year in La Salle, I taught S2 English. I marked wrongly a grammar item in Thomas Ng's composition. Two years later, Thomas wrote according to my 'correction'. I crossed the item out. Thomas came and told me what I did 2 years ago. I was dumbfounded and I apologized for my mistake. To this day, I try my best to mark composition really carefully.

Eddie, I am sorry for my careless remark. I hope you will forgive me. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make up for the wrong I have done you. Please, don't let this stupid remark bother you anymore. Let's start anew. I will be more cautious in whatever I say.

My sweet Jesus, I need Your help. I understand now that there are a lot of wounds I am unable to heal. Be our healer. Amen.

Comment from Eddie:

老實講對唔住唔係大晒,我無必要原諒你
你果時同我講既每一個字我刀記得好清楚.....

仲要唔止係呢一句
記唔記得我遲到見家長,你幫ms lee做翻譯果時你同我and我老豆講過話我唔岩讀書,叫我出黎做野
你知唔知令到我有幾憎你?
你宜家講一千句一萬句對唔住刀補唔番

我知自己無可能原諒你
我寧願你放棄我唔理我,以後對Martin好d,,唔好再針對任何人
做咩事諗左後果先
okay?
May 1, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment