Translate

Monday 19 May 2008

James, the naive?

Daily living is very complex. Its challenges create anxiety in our psychology. Therefore, each man will construct a different worldview to deal with the daily life he leads. Human beings actively construct a mental world to represent the outside world. These representations can only be incomplete but so long as they are usable, human beings will keep on using them. Of course, more hardworking human beings will adjust them to newer experiences. Others will stick to them until the day they die.

James was really a simple man. His worldview was naive. Listen to him:
Does a spring pour forth from the same opening fresh water and brackish?
Can a fig tree, my brethren, yield olives, or a grapevine figs? No more can salt water yield fresh
(James 3:11-12).
Probably he had never met people who were able to flatter, to please their supervisors and oppress their subordinates at the same time. These people abuse and enjoy the authority delegated to them, betraying their supervisors and preying on their subordinates. They pour forth fresh water to their supervisors and salt water to their subordinates. Dear James, I am sure you must have met them. Then, why do you appear to be so naive? Probably, you had made your world more bearable. Or have I missed something?
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice (James 3:16).
Surely, you had seen those ambitious middle managers and you knew very well the havoc they were able to wreak. Yet, you preferred to see the world in a simpler light. That probably explains why you put yourself on equal footing with the recipients of your Epistle. You called them your brethren instead of your underlings. I admire your confidence in man. You were able to see the image and likeness of God in them. I have to admit that I am rather pessimistic. I am too demanding on my students.
Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good life let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom (James 3:13).
I don't understand. I don't know what you mean by "meekness of wisdom"? Can wisdom be meek? Do you mean true wisdom is not imposing, allowing man the choice to accept it or reject it? Then being a teacher is detrimental to my soul. We easily entertain the mentality of "I am always right and you are wrong". How arrogant!
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, without uncertainty or insincerity (James 3:17).
I sincerely care for the well being of my students. Probably, what I lack is meekness and mercy. I am not wise.
My Advocate, grant me the nine fruits of Yours: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). May I be more patient with my Shung Tak students.
Our Lady, you suffered patiently under your son's cross. You have set us a good model to follow. Blessed be the humble and those who fear the Lord forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment