Translate

Friday 30 May 2008

Feast of Sacred Heart of Jesus

This is a Catholic feast not shared by Protestants. They would argue that there is no biblical basis for the concept of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It is also well known that they would only accept a bare crucifix without an idol of Jesus hanging onto it. They justify this by claiming that Jesus has risen from the dead and ascended into heaven. For them, the adoration of any image is idolatry. A bare crucifix is good enough as a symbol of Christianity. Now, Catholics have created yet another idol!
For me, I don't need to be apologetic. The Sacred Heart of Jesus reminds me concretely of the extent to which Jesus has sacrificed himself for us. His heart was crowned with thorns and was pierced. This wound, together with the other 5 stigmata, remains forever in him because he is willing to keep them even after his resurrection. These are the signs of his love for us, sinners all.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
(Matthew 11:28-30)
How consoling these words are! The burden of sins is really heavy. It impedes our growth and our relationships with the others. Jesus offers us a way out.

My sweet Jesus, let me imitate Your humility to follow the will of our Heavenly Father. May our sufferings merge with Yours to redeem the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment