Translate

Tuesday 30 August 2016

Evils of doing good-intention-things

I am half way through my solitary retreat which you see is not very successful because I have broken the most basic requirement. Here I am, using Internet! However, it may not be a complete failure because at least, I have learnt a very important lesson even at the beginning of this retreat which started later than expected and God did not waste any time to teach me a lesson.

Last Saturday, August 27, I visited the Tai Lam Centre for Women and seven inmates would like me to write them clemency letters. Writing letter was easy but the most challenging part was that one inmate would go to court on Monday August 29. I intended to stay behind to write it on the spot and gave it to the Rehabilitation Officer. However, I could not make it in time before the office left. I had to post it.
Perhaps out of pride for my writings, I decided to deliver them by hand. Instead of walking into the Prison after getting off from K51, I saved time by taking a taxi from Tuen Mun Town Centre and arrived at 9:10 a.m., fearing that the Rehabilitation Officer would be too early around. To my dismay, the officer at the gate told me that when inmates went to court, they usually started going at seven something to a gathering place and together with inmates from other prisons, would be bused to different courts. I was too late. I remembered that there was still another who would go on Tuesday, August 30. So, I requested seeing the Rehabilitation Officer, hoping that at least I could help the Tuesday Lady. The officer at the gate called and the reply I received was disappointing. The Rehabilitation Officer would not receive letters by hand. I had to mail them! Bureaucratic!
While walking out of the prison, God consoled me and gave me a peace of heart. I should not blame the Rehabilitation Officer. This is regulation. I always challenge regulations but the RO cannot. I should learn to tame my wildness. On reaching the K51 terminus, I could have walked to the Tuen Mun Interchange to take a cross harbour bus. But I did not. I decided to try one last time. I decided to go to the Tuen Mun Central Post Office to deliver the letter by Speed Post, hoping that it would reach the RO by the afternoon so that the Tuesday Lady might ... I refused to admit defeat. My pride was sizzling. By the time I reached the Post Office, it was 10:40 am. 40 minutes ago, I should have arrived at the Salesian Retreat House as scheduled. Now, I was queuing up to the post office counter. The outcome? You bet. The Speed Post in Tuen Mun could not deliver by the afternoon as I wanted to. Perhaps the Central Post Office could. Finally, I admitted defeat and posted the letter at Tuen Mun. I am sorry, Tuesday Lady. I have tried my best.
I spoke about "the path to hell is littered with good intentions", about the evil of doing good-intention-things if they are not God's will in my previous post: "I Never Know You". Now, I learn it the hard way.

Help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment