Translate

Wednesday 7 January 2009

As he is so are we

Solomon was supposed to have written the following psalm, the last psalm of Book 2. The book of Psalm is divided into 5 books, containing 150 psalms. At the end of each book (Psalm #41, #72, #89 and #106) except the very last one #150, people find the "Amen" signature.
Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous things.
Blessed be his glorious name for ever; may his glory fill the whole earth!
Amen and Amen!
(Psalm 72:18-19)
Most probably, "the wondrous things" means victories in battle or deliverance by God, in other words, miraculously defeating the enemies.
Alleluia! Praise and honour be to Yahweh, my God forever and ever, who has answered my prayer.
Blessed be His sacred name forever for He has shown me mercy.
Amen and Amen!

I thank God because tonight at dinner, Wulstan emerged from his bedroom and had dinner with us! At dinner, I posed him a question which popped up in my mind at school. I consulted Mr. Y. the Senior but I was not satisfied with the answer he gave me. Wulstan hit the bull. Good boy! I can now rely on you to help me read books and solve my problems. Truly, I have to admit that I cannot do everything!

Oh! How we old folk topple! Mr. Y. the Senior, we are losing our grip to this world! Perhaps it is time for us to retire and make way for the younger generation.
Mr. Y. the Senior is the panel head of a Chinese subject. The Student Paper lauded him the most knowledgeable man in Shung Tak. He deserves this fame because he knows a lot of academic and nonacademic stuff, except English and the Bible. For the last one and a half years, he had been suffering persecution. After leading a study tour to Taiwan in the summer of 2007, he and two other colleagues have been helping the law-enforcement agents in some investigations. It was a great blow to his psyche and a threat to his career and retirement. He was very much depressed.
Around May 2008, a "scandal" erupted from the Examination Authority. Slang appeared and were wrongly applied in examination papers in ASL and HKCEE. The public was enraged and a lot of complaints and accusations were flying around. Just at that time, a "brilliant" idea flashed across my mind. I suggested constructing a webpage to explain the origins and true meanings of the common expressions we used in our daily life. It was an act of conservation of our Hong Kong heritage. This idea immediately cheered Mr. Y. the Senior up. 【崇德通志堂】was born! Perhaps because his frustration had been great, his productivity was very high. Sometimes, 5 to 6 entries were written within a day.
Since the beginning of this academic year, he has not written anything. Our ex-boss has been assigned elsewhere. Two days ago, he received a letter from the law enforcement agency, saying that the investigation is suspended. He is very much relieved and his productivity is zero! After all, Mencius has been right.
天將降大任於斯人也,必先苦其心志,勞其筋骨, 餓其體膚, 空乏其身,行拂亂其所為。所以動心忍性,增益其所不能也。
This famous line is verified for yet another time in Mr. Y. the Senior. When we suffer, we are more productive. When life is easy, man becomes lazy. I think St. Paul and Mencius might love each other because both of them encouraged people to tolerate hardship.
Though John did not write explicitly that we should work hard and endure hardship, he put it in another way. It is not simply hard to love, we need to work hard to sustain the love among us. Therefore, John gave us a focus to invest our efforts --- to love. And we will be richly rewarded when we love.
In this is love perfected with us, that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so are we in this world (1 John 4:17).
Jesus went through humiliation and suffering before he attained glory. As he is, so are we in this world. Whoever runs away from sufferings and hardship will miss the opportunity to attain glory.

My Lord, I praise You again for You have answered my prayer. Keep Wulstan and me in Your grace forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment