Translate

Sunday 24 February 2013

Do I show the real face of Jesus?

In the gospel reading today, we heard the Lucan version of the Transfiguration story (Luke 9:28-36). To strengthen the faith of the disciples, Jesus revealed his divinity to the three core apostles. Only Peter, James and John enjoyed the privilege of witnessing the glory of the Son of God on earth. The rest of us have to be patient and wait until the end of the world. Indeed, even the second or the third generation of Christians did not see Jesus on earth. Today, we can only see portraits of the imagined Jesus by artists!

In the afternoon, I did a homily in front of the deacons as a practice. I did my best to prepare, polish and revise the homily. The outcome? Not good at all. From their candid feedback, I understand that I failed to convey my message across effectively. In the end, nobody was able to know my main theme. I have been too ambitious, so much so that my audience was overwhelmed with wave after wave of messages. Unlike essays which my readers are able to refer back as many times as they need. A homily flows in one direction only. If my audience misses any one point, it is impossible for them to rewind and listen to it again.

What about my message per se?
It is a homily for the Fourth Sunday of Lent, Year C, the parable of the Prodigal Son. The story is a trove of treasure and there are many themes to choose from. Since everybody is familiar with the parable, I wanted to handle a different theme: how deep is our faith in God and in man, especially, in sinners? Perhaps I should have chosen a more familiar theme, such as we should rejoice with God in the repentance of sinners. I was too ambitious. In the end, the face of Jesus is blurred.
Dear readers, I will publish my homily on the Fourth Sunday. Bear with me for the time being.

Dear Lord, I am an unworthy servant. Allow me to work hard to reveal Your real face to my neighbour. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment