Translate

Monday 7 March 2016

UNLESS YOU SEE SIGNS

It is a common mistake, though with good intention, to pray for the recovery of cancer patients! Pardon me for sounding callous. We believe in God. We love our neighbour and are taught to help the needy. They are suffering from cancers. Isn't it logical to pray to God for the good of the patients? It demonstrates our faith in God. Moreover, we admit our incompetence before cancers and turn to God. We cannot find fault with faith and charity. However, suffering is truly a mystery. We are not able to fathom what God wants to do with the cancer.
On the personal level, many people are able to defeat cancer with their will-power. Then, we interpret this illness in these people is an opportunity to draw out their previously untapped resources. On an interpersonal level, this illness draws family members closer together; reveal which ones are true friends and may even provide a reconciliation opportunity among enemies. In the end, it is God who decides the outcome.

My ex-colleague is lying in bed in a hospital ward. I do not know much about his conditions and it seems that his situation is terminal. I thank the Lord when we held hands together after administering Holy Communion to him. He closed his eyes and was peaceful. I am grateful for the Lord to allow me to touch Him and feel His bony physique. I dare not pray for the recovery of my ex-colleague. I can only pray that the merciful Lord gave him enough strength to carry this cross.

Lord, I do not need to see signs to believe in you (John 4:48). Heal me and have mercy on us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment