Translate

Sunday 27 August 2017

Who is Jesus for me? 耶穌為我是誰?

Twenty First Ordinary Sunday, Year A
Theme: Who is Jesus for me?

As a warm up, Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of Man is?" (Matthew 16:13) The title "Son of Man" is ambiguous but here we have no doubt that the disciples understood it to refer to Jesus (Mark 8:27). The question was an opinion poll to measure how effective Jesus' evangelization had been. From what the disciples had seen, people expected Jesus to be one of the prophets, somebody who challenged and criticized the establishment. Some people expected the establishment to try to destroy Jesus. So, they saw Jesus as a Jeremiah or a John the Baptist whom Herod Antipas had beheaded. It was very likely that people tried to scare Herod and fed him the idea that Jesus was John the Baptist raised from the dead (Matthew 14:2). Of course, seeing Jesus' miracles which reminded them of Elijah, many Jews had high expectation on Jesus. They believed that Elijah would come before the Messiah. So, Jesus could be Elijah!

How could Jesus accept such stereotype answers? As our Saviour, Jesus expected more personal answers. So, he followed up with a piercing question which each of us has to answer ourselves. "But who do you say that I am?" (16:15) Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." (16:16). His was genuine because of Jesus' deliverance from his near-drown experience after the Five Loaves Two Fish miracle (14:29-31). Simon Peter was blessed. His experience enabled him to declare the Messiahship of Jesus, to be commissioned the Rock on which Jesus builds his Church, to witness the Transfiguration of Jesus, to deny Jesus three times, to be forgiven and in the end, to be crucified for Jesus. What about us? Who is Jesus for me? No Christian can evade this question.

Jesus is God. But what do you mean by "God"? Is it a distant deity who has created the known universe and left it behind, leaving you behind? Because of it, you have to go to mass on Sundays, to obey the Ten Commandments and to do good? No. The world He created is beautiful. We celebrate its diversity in harmony.

Jesus is my God. He created me. I owe every moment of my existence to Him. He will bless me, keep me safe and give me what I need. I should be grateful and go to mass on Sundays, say prayers and study the Bible every day. I worry about the world which is contaminated by sins. But I believe that my God is almighty. He sees and hears our plights. He is able to relieve us of our sufferings. But has your God ever abandoned you? No. Not that I know of. Good of you.

Jesus Christ is my Saviour. He was crucified on the cross for all my sins. I feel extremely guilty about it. On the other hand, I am blessed to have a new lease of life and continue to grow and become better. I want to cooperate with him and become a better person. I will spend time praying to him and studying the gospels to learn more about him and his teachings. Are you willing to bear witness for how Jesus has saved you and changed you? Of course I am willing to. But are you willing to suffer persecution for Jesus? I am not sure.

Jesus Christ is my Lord. He created me and has given me a new lease of life. I totally surrender my life to serve my Lord. I shall do whatever He tells me to do, even if I have to die for him like all the holy martyrs. Every day, I will pray to seek His will and to beg for His strength to execute His will.

Jesus Christ is my teacher. He takes every opportunity to teach me wisdom. I am able to see with his eyes. The whole world, the people, the places and events are completely different and renewed. I begin to see the Father intervening in our history and His will be done.

Jesus is my friend. He walks with me while I am busy walking around, bumping into people. He accompanies me while I am doing my daily chores. We talk when I lie down to rest. He shows me awesome wonders every day.

Of course, I cannot be exhaustive. I cannot be complete without my Jesus. Amen.


常年期第廿一主日(甲年)
主題:耶穌為我是誰?

作為一個熱身,耶穌先問門徒:「人們說人子是誰?」(瑪16:13)雖然「人子」一詞語帶含糊,但毫無疑問,門徒知道是指耶穌(谷8:27)。這問題是一個民意調查,可以用來量度耶穌的傳教工作有多大成效。從門徒所見所聞,可見在群眾的心目中,耶穌是挑戰和批評建制的先知中的一位。群眾知道建制會設法剷除耶穌,有如對付耶肋米亞或洗者若翰一樣。正是黑落德安提帕下令把洗者若翰斬首的,所以,可能有人故意說耶穌是洗者若翰復活來恐嚇他(瑪14:2)當然,見過耶穌行類似厄里亞曾行過的神蹟,群眾對耶穌的期望更高。他們相信厄里亞在默西亞來臨前會出現,所以耶穌可能是厄里亞!

耶穌又怎會接受這些樣版的答案呢!作為我們的救主,耶穌期望得到一些更個人化的答案。所以,耶穌緊接問了一個尖銳的問題:「你們說我是誰?」(16:15)西滿伯多祿回答說:「你是默西亞,永生天主之子。」(16:16)他的答案是真誠的,因為五餅二魚神蹟後,他曾經歷瀕臨沒頂,被耶穌拯救經驗。西滿伯多祿真是有福,這經歷讓他能宣認耶穌是默西亞,讓他被委派為建樹教會的磐石,能見證耶穌顯聖容,三次背主後仍能獲得寬恕。最後,他能為耶穌而被釘十字架。我們又如何呢?耶穌為我是誰?沒有一個基督徒能逃避這個問題。

「耶穌是天主」。但你所說的天主是甚麼?是一個不食人間煙火,創造了這個宇宙便放下不理,連你也掉下不理的神?因為祂,你每個主日要參加彌撒,要守十誡,要做好人嗎?不是!祂創造的世界是美麗的,我們欣賞它在多元中的和諧。

「耶穌是我的天主」。祂創造了我,我每一刻的存在倚靠祂。祂祝福我,保護我,賜予我所需要的一切。我應懷著感恩之心,主日參加彌撒,每天祈禱讀經。我為這被罪惡所污染的世界而憂慮。但我相信我的天主是全能的。祂看到並且聽到我們的疾苦。祂能消除我們的苦難。但你的天主曾捨棄了你嗎?沒有。以我所知沒有。恭喜你。

「耶穌基督是我的救主」。他為我的罪被釘十字架。我很內疚。另一方面,我慶幸重獲新生,並繼續成長進步。我願意和他合作成為更好的人。我會向他祈禱,研讀福音,更深入認識他的言行和教訓。你願意為耶穌如何拯救你和改變你而作證嗎?當然願意。那麼,你願意為耶穌受迫害嗎?我不能肯定。

「耶穌基督是我的主」。他創造並救贖了我。我把我的生命完全交付給他,服侍他。他無論吩咐我做甚麼,甚至殉道,我也在所不辭。每天,我會祈禱,尋求他的旨意,並求他賜予力量,承行他的旨意。

「耶穌基督是我的導師」。他抓緊每一個機會,教導我智慧,以他的眼光看這個世界。整個世界,當中的人地事物都改變了,更新了。我看見天父插手人類的歷史。願祂的旨意承行。

「耶穌是我的朋友」。當我營營役役時,他與我同行。當我忙著日常的粗活時,他陪伴著我。我躺下休息時,他與我密談。每天他展示令人讚嘆不已的奇觀。

當然,我不能盡錄。沒有我的耶穌,我不完整。亞孟。

No comments:

Post a Comment