Translate

Friday 1 February 2008

David's Prayer

Today (January 31) is the Feast of St. John Bosco, the patron saint for youngsters. His unfailing love for the youngsters and his concerns for their welfare urged him on. His devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary was another source of his sanctity. We thank God for raising among us a holy man who not only devoted his life to the good of the young, but also had brought others into the awareness of the needs of teenagers.
Dear St. John Bosco, you have set up an exemplary life to invite teachers and youth workers to follow. The teaching profession has never been respectable in this commercial city of Hong Kong. Let us learn from your humility, become more professional to help these youngsters grow. Amen.
After hearing the good news brought by Nathan, David went in (the tent) and sat before the Lord and began his prayer (2 Samuel 7:18). See how relaxed at this particular moment David was in his relationship with God. He was sitting while praying to God. Yes, our relationship with God should be as relaxed like his, though in reality it is often not.
David knew of his limitations and lowliness. He began with "Who am I, O Lord God אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה... that Thou hast brought me thus far?" This should be the proper orientation in all our prayers. We are, but lowly creatures of the Lord God אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה which David invoked no less than 8 times within his prayer. Yes, You are our Lord and our God. You know us through and through. "And what more can David say to thee ... O Lord God" (2 Samuel 7:20). Yes, it is enough to be staying quietly in Your presence, enveloped by Your loving grace. I need to say no more. I only wish to remain in this blissful state forever and ever. But my journey on earth will only end at Your appointed time. When times come, I have to return to my earthly state of life to continue my journey. Be with me always to allow me to taste the sweetness of Your love so that I may be more able to recount Your greatness to my students whom You have entrusted in my hands. Let me see through the confusions in this world to discern Your greatness. Allow me the grace to see Your wonders unfolded with my dim eyes. Then I may sing praises to You in the assembly. Amen.
This afternoon, Ms. Bird Leung, an editor of "Ubiquity", a diocesan youth formation publication, came to Shung Tak to interview me. She allows me a good opportunity to reflect on the path I have trodden so far as a teacher of Religious Studies. She is so good an interviewer that I may proceed comfortably.
After showing her around the school campus, we settled down to talk about how evangelization could be achieved through the teaching of RS. On the school level, many diocesan schools face the difficulty of a lack of qualified and confident teachers to teach RS as an examination subject. This is where my webpage "郭Sir補習社" can contribute. But school policy is essential as well. In religious schools where nearly 50% of the students are Catholic, though not practising, RS is taken for granted. No student has ever thought of dropping the subject in HKCEE. The situation in diocesan schools is totally different. There are at most 4% Catholic among the students. Once the school concedes to the demands from students, parents and other subjects, RS seldom can stand on her feet any more.
On the teachers level, the personal sanctity of Catholic teachers, not just RS teachers, is essential. The scent of God will liberate from them and the light of Christ will radiate through them. So, Catholic teachers need to make their Catholic identity conspicuously visible. "Is a lamp brought in to be put under a bushel, or under a bed, and not on a stand?" (Mark 4:21). As an RS teacher, I count myself blessed because I am paid to enjoy the word of God! Of course, the support and sympathy from teachers of other subjects, such as Chinese Language, Music, Visual Art, Home Economics and even Maths and Sciences, are also essential.
On the parents level, I believe most of them want their children to be good and will support the effort of the school to teach their children well. Rather, students nowadays seem to be listless and aimless. Most of the time, they fool around, enjoy their life and care not what will happen to them tomorrow. Many of them are pragmatic and find no utility in taking RS. As an RS teacher, I can only console myself with the "parable of the growing seed" (Mark 4:26-29). Plough and ask not the yields. Evangelization should be our effort, but the result belongs to God.
St. Paul once said, "Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel" (1 Corinthians 9:16). Therefore, if I feel blessed, I will preach the gospel. Catholic teachers. Search our souls and see how blessed we have been. Let me assure you, sharing the word of God with the students is a very fruitful experience. Both the students and us are enlightened and enlivened. I feel blessed to have spent the last 30 odd years teaching my students RS.
NSS educational reform has rendered many teachers exhausted. I am not too optimistic about having enough students taking E&RS as an elective in 2009 and beyond. However, school administrations should stand firm in providing RS training for students in the area of "Other Learning Experiences".

St. John Bosco, what would you do in face of all these educational reforms? Pray for us so that we will never lose sight of and hope in God's providence for our students. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment