Translate

Tuesday 12 February 2008

Holiness Code

Today, we reflect on Leviticus 19, the famous 'Holiness Code' and Psalm 19.
Leviticus 19 is called the 'Holiness Code' because it calls on all Israelites to a life of holiness:
"Say to all the congregation of the people of Israel, You shall be holy קְדֹשִׁים תִּהְיוּ; for I the LORD your God am holy קָדוֹשׁ" (Leviticus 19:2). Then it touches on all the 10 commandments and the reason for keeping the commandments is simply "I am the LORD  אֲנִי יְהוָה". God is holy (however you understand the term קָדוֹשׁׁ) and He called Israel to be His possession סְגֻלָּה among all peoples (Exodus 19:5) because God intended to bring forth salvation to all mankind through Israel, His first-born (Exodus 4:22). To be God's possession must, therefore, be holy itself and keeping the 10 commandments will make you holy and acceptable to God. This is Judaism.

What makes it difficult to keep the 10 commandments? Had God given us something impossible to achieve? The first command He imposed on Adam was not to eat the forbidden fruit (Genesis 2:17). It looked simple enough to follow, didn't it? Yet, Adam failed. Why? [Note that Adam did not die the very day he ate the fruit as forewarned by God. Had God exaggerated the harm? Or was God merciful enough not to mete out the pronounced punishment, sort of probation?] The 10 commandments look reasonable enough. They secured Israel as one people instead of 12 loose tribes of nomads, to be packed for convenience and security only when circumstances arose. The 10 commandments maintained social stability where everyone respected everyone else's property. They maintained social continuity when the aged were taken care of. In short, they helped Israel survive in a hostile environment. Therefore, it was essential for the Israelites to keep the 10 commandments, even if they were difficult to keep, but they were reasonable, right? Yet, the very fact that the 10 commandments were codified shows that those were the very problems Israelites had to struggle against back in those days. Why was it so? I have raised too many questions. Probably I have not understood enough human beings, including myself. Frankly speaking, I must have breached many times some of the commandments, especially the "Honor your father and your mother". Mother, forgive me for being impatient, but I really don't want to engage in the games you play. We all need to grow up.

Psalm 19 is a lovely prayer. I like the following verses most.
The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever;
the ordinances of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb
. (Psalm 19:8-11)
I suppose I understand how the Torah is able to revive the soul, make the simple wise, rejoice the heart and enlighten the eyes. The Torah is true and righteous because it shows God's wisdom. For the Israelites and mankind, the Torah is the most precious gift from God. In the Old Testament, 'the fear of the Lord' is equated with wisdom. Therefore, I suppose I appreciate what it means by 'the fear of the Lord is clean and enduring'. Torah is a guideline for living. Naturally, it is more to be desired than gold. However, I am not able to feel how it is sweeter than honey. Perhaps I am not advanced enough in my spiritual maturity to taste the sweetness of God's commandments. My heart has not yet caught up with my head.

My God, I thank You for revealing Your wisdom to us. I wish to follow her throughout my days. Tame my wild and arrogant heart so that one day, I may be able to taste her sweetness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment