Translate

Friday 22 February 2008

Hardened Hearts

Today, I read Jeremiah 17. It deals with our hearts. Later in Jeremiah 31, God announced a new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31) in which His laws would be engraved in our hearts instead of stone tablets. By then, we would follow God's statues not because they are imposed from outside. We would not observe out of fear of punishments. We obey His instructions from within because we will love Him and want to share His eternal life.
Jeremiah 17 is a collection of a judgment speech (17:1-4), a psalm (17:5-11), a hymn (17:12-13), a lament (17:14-18) and a sermon (17:19-27). The heart is the theme that links them all. But what is in a man's heart? Sins.

The sin of Judah is written with a pen of iron; with a point of diamond it is engraved on the tablet of their heart, and on the horns of their altars, (Jeremiah 17:1). How can sins be written in our hearts with a pen of iron; with a point of diamond unless our hearts are hardened. Our hearts are hardened with our sins. Sins harden our hearts.
My God, I beg You. Melt my heart together with my sins. My neck is stiffened as well. Soften it so that I may bow it humbly to admit my sins, that I may pound my chest to shake my heart out of its stubbornness. Amen.

Update:

Edison Chen Koon-hei appeared at a packed press conference at the Hong Kong  International Trade and Exhibition Centre in Kowloon Bay to apologize for his involvement in the recent obscene photo scandal on the Internet. He admitted that he had taken the photos himself. But he defended that "But these photos were very private and have not been shown to people and were never intended to be shown to anyone." He further disclaimed all responsibilities for the circulation of these photos on the Internet. He only apologized for the pains inflicted on his parents, loved ones and the ladies in the photos. He apologized for not setting an example for the young people. That's all.
He did not apologize for his promiscuous relationships with the ladies.
He did not apologize for shooting the videos.
He did not apologize for exposing young children to these obscene photos in the media ...
No wonders, many teachers and parents doubted his sincerity.
I the LORD search the mind and try the heart,
to give to every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings
(Jeremiah 17:10).

My God, Jesus had defended the adulteress caught in the act of adultery. Edison was caught pants down. I believe Jesus would defend Edison as well even though many would like to see him punished. I pray for Edison that he would admit fully all his misdeeds, and repent. I pray for all who are 'luckily' not caught. They have no pressure to repent. Merciful Lord, give us a chance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment