Translate

Friday 8 February 2008

Happy Lunar New Year

Today is the first day of the Year of the Rat. Happy Lunar New Year to you all. Wish you all a fruitful year ahead, full of God's grace.
This morning, we attended the New Year Mass and it was again full-house. The parish priest was obviously very happy about the attendance. It has become a tradition to have lion-dance to lead the procession into the church. The atmosphere was jovial.
Fr. Lejeune was the chief celebrant. He is already over 80 and always jokingly laments why God still does not receive him back in His bosom. He suffers from DM like me. Way back in the LaSallian days, I had looked up for guidance two other religious, Fr. James Lea and Bro. Francis O'Rourke, both of whom had suffered DM. However, I was not able to derive any positive examples from them. May their souls rest in peace. Fr. Lejeune has always been positive. He keeps learning to operate the computer even in his advanced age. He has been a grandfatherly figure in our community and we benefit a lot from him.
In his homily, he talked about making full use of the opportunities God offers us. He was indeed sharing his life motto. He often pays visits to mainland China. He took care of the French community in Beijing while learning Putonghua there a few years ago. Last Christmas, he visited the churches and the parishes in Chungking. He is still very much alive and kicking. Indeed, I shouldn't be that depressed and withdrawn because of my health. Here is a jolly old French priest showing me how to lead my life to its fullness. Thank God for sending us this wonderful missionary priest. May God reward him abundantly for his good work in His fold.
Hilary is my good son. I was a bit worried before we visited grandpa and grandma because he has been absent from this new year visit for several years. Moreover, my younger brother had annoyed him in grandma's birthday dinner last time. But Hilary behaved very well today. The atmosphere was cosy. Of course, I pray that he will return to church to practise his faith soon. May God have mercy on him and bring him home.
Today, we read Deuteronomy 18:15-20 and 1 Corinthians 7:32-35.
I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him (Deuteronomy 18:18). This prophet is Jesus. Revelation reaches its fullness in him.
I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord (1 Corinthians 7:35). In this text, St. Paul called upon the married Corinthian believers to work for their sanctification in marriage. In our married life, take every opportunity to come close to the Lord, be anxious to please the Lord. But how? I feel blessed to be able to work together with Erminia in the parish choir. May the Lord find pleasure in what little we are able to contribute.

My God, at this beginning of the Lent season, let no excuses prevent us from doing the purification work on our hearts. May we stay fast in our prayers and abstinence so that we may truly celebrate Your Passover at the end of this season. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment