Translate

Friday 15 February 2008

Esther's prayer

Today, we read of the prayer of Queen Esther of Persia in Esther 4. The prayer is not found in the shorter Hebrew version, but the longer Greek version. The story of Esther is the origin of the Jewish Festival of Purim. She was yet another heroine to deliver the Jews from their enemies.
Esther began her prayer with "Thou, O Lord, didst take Israel out of all the nations, and our fathers from among all their ancestors, for an everlasting inheritance, and that thou didst do for them all that thou didst promise." Yes, Esther had knocked at the right door. God always fulfilled His promises and covenant to the ancestors of Israel. There was no better place to go in times of serious troubles. Then she confessed the national guilt of worshipping foreign gods. Yes, we should know of our weaknesses, our shortcomings and our needs of God. Our sins should make us know of our unworthiness to receive God's grace. Yet, God our Father is all merciful and powerful. Esther then begged God "to make thyself known in this time of our affliction, and give me courage ...  and put eloquent speech in my mouth before the lion, and turn his heart to hate the man who is fighting against us, so that there may be an end of him and those who agree with him." Our times of needs are also occasions to glorify our God. He will take care and the rest is history.
Then we read Psalm 138. My heart holds dear the following verses:
For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly; but the haughty he knows from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou dost preserve my life;
thou dost stretch out thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, and thy right hand delivers me
(Psalm 138:6-7). God is lofty, yet He regards the lowly. How consoling and reassuring it is in times of troubles. With so much technological achievements, we have become so self-centred that we easily forget that God transcends all. Yet, God is our Father. He is always near though we always ignore Him, disregards His guidance.
Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened
(Matthew 7:7-8).
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11)

My God, I dare not ask because I do not know how. I seek but always blindly. I never knock for there are so many doors behind which lie so many unknowns. Father, teach me to ask properly like Esther. Show me my needs for I always ask for the wrong kind of things. Guide my hand to knock at the right door that I may enter Your sanctuary. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment