Translate

Sunday 24 February 2008

We are Micah

Today, we read Micah 7, the last chapter of a minor prophet. Micah מִיכָה (who is like our God?) was a contemporary of Isaiah and it is interesting to find some parallel texts between the two. For example, both walked naked as a sign (Micah 1:8, Isaiah 20:2-4); bald and cut their hair (Micah 1:16, Isaiah 22:12); criticized the elites for exploiting the people (Micah 3:2, Isaiah 5:20); bribed judges (Micah 3:11, Isaiah 1:21); nations come to the holy mountain to be instructed (Micah 4:1-2, Isaiah 2:2-4); "and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks" (Micah 4:3, Isaiah 2:4). Of course, Micah will be most remembered for his prophecy of the birth of Christ in Bethlehem.
But you, O Bethlehem Eph'rathah, who are little to be among the clans of Judah,
from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel,
whose origin is from of old, from ancient days
(Micah 5:1, Matthew 2:6).
His situation was grim.
Put no trust in a neighbor, have no confidence in a friend;
guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your bosom;
for the son treats the father with contempt, the daughter rises up against her mother,
the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house
(Micah 7:5-6). It sounds very much like what had happened during the Cultural Revolution of the 1960's in mainland China. Prophets really are able to see into the future! In such time of social upheavals, our only trust is in the Lord.
But as for me, I will look to the LORD, I will wait for the God of my salvation;
my God will hear me
Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise;
when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me.
I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him,
until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me.
He will bring me forth to the light; I shall behold his deliverance.
 (Micah 7:7-9).
We have sinned and we deserve sufferings. But our God is merciful and is a loving Father.
Who is a God like thee מִי אֵל כָּמוֹךָ, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance?
He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love.
He will again have compassion upon us, he will tread our iniquities under foot.
Thou wilt cast all our sins into the depths of the sea
(Micah 7:18-19).
Who is like our God? Micah was. We can be. Each of us should be. Like Him, we should be merciful and forgive. In forgiving, we are Micah.
When we fall, we have no courage to stand up again. Our guilty conscience is too heavy and weighs us down. But our Father is merciful and He will tread our iniquities under foot and cast our sins into the depths of the sea. What burden is there to weigh us down?

My God, I am not worthy to be like You. But grant me the generosity and mercy to wipe off the grudges I hold against our brothers. In relieving them, I am able to relieve myself. Then, together, we may travel lightly and continue our pilgrimage towards our heavenly home, to enjoy seeing Your glory, seeing You face-to-face, to be Micah. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment