Translate

Saturday 9 February 2008

Avoid being superficial

Today, we meditate on Isaiah 58:1-9.
God told Isaiah to declare the sins of Judah. However, Judah looked extremely good.
Yet they seek me daily,
and delight to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that did righteousness
and did not forsake the ordinance of their God;
they ask of me righteous judgments,
they delight to draw near to God
(Isaiah 58:2)
To seek God daily, to delight in the knowledge of God's ways, to do righteousness, to keep the ordinance of God, to ask God of righteous judgments and to draw near to God ... What more can we expect from any Christians? When we talk of the Christian goal of perfection, the 6 characteristics mentioned above will surely be among the criteria. Here, we find the will (to seek), the intellect (to know), the determination (not to forsake) and the emotion (to delight). It is man in his totality. Moreover, the goal is a noble one --- the righteousness of God. All of these are good as long as they do not remain superficial.
On the second day of the Lunar New Year, we paid visit to the godmother of Wulstan and had lunch together. Then we paid Sam, my godson, a visit. Sam used to be a driver before he was paralysed from stroke. His right side was impeded. In the earlier days, he insisted to take a daily walk to maintain his movements. Unfortunately, he was knocked down by a careless young man. Screws were installed in his hip and further impeded his movements. Slowly, the sight of his right eye is lost. In this cold spell, he cannot even bend his right leg. He cannot get on his wheelchair and is confined in his flat. He cannot recall many of his precious memories. He tries hard to retain his mental power by rehearsing whatever is at hand. Using the computer becomes one of the limited ways he can handle in keep his mind alert. Helen, his wife, is his steadfast support. It is really a big, big cross Sam is carrying. May God have mercy on him and grant him consolations to carry this cross. Sam is sometimes bitter because friends he expects to see do not turn up to console him. I regret not visiting more often enough.

My God, though I have the will to seek Your way, if I do not extend a helping hand to my neighbour, I am going the wrong way. Though I have the intellect to know the Scripture, if I do not console my neighbour, I fail to open Your holy book. Though I have the determination to keep Your commandments, if I do not humble myself in doing the work I should have done, I commit sins. Though I delight in coming close to You, if I do not visit Sam in whom You reside, my delight will be empty.
My God, may I truly seek You and not vanity, truly know You in humility, truly keep Your sweet commandments and truly delight in being close to You, like an insignificant child looking up to its wonderful Father, expecting a warm loving hug. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment