Translate

Wednesday 20 February 2008

Preach & Practise

In today's reading of Matthew 23:1-12, Jesus slammed the scribes (or teachers of the Law) and the Pharisees for their hypocrisy. He advised his disciples:
so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice (Matthew 23:3).
Boys and girls, don't complain that Jesus is not fair. Whatever your teachers tell you, just do it! But don't follow their examples. This is not being unfair. Jesus is simply trying to protect you. Your teachers tell you to finish your assignments. Just do them, even if your teachers do not do any homework. I tell you not to smoke. Just don't, even if Mr. Kwok smokes his pipe at home. Your RS teachers warn you not to engage in casual sex, not to go dating etc. Just obey even though ...
At present, the schooling system (note that I do not use the term 'education system') in Hong Kong, like those in many other cities, follows the manufacturing/production model. Students are raw materials we teachers work on to churn out skilled workers, assembly line supervisors, technicians, engineers and managers demanded by the society. The newer model is the so called 'student-centred' model where students are our clients. Teachers provide services for their needs, services such as custodian, babysitting, counselling, language skills etc. Whichever model teachers are in, they only have to pass on skills to the students. In the former model, the skills were more specific bread-earning skills. In the latter model, the skills are hazier ones such as problem-solving skill, presentation skill, communication skill, examination skills etc. Compared to earlier eras, teachers are not expected to pay attention to the formation of students' character. An Economics teacher is not a discipline teacher! Preaching and practices are further divorced. Teachers don't have to practise what they teach. Of course, if we teachers practise what we preach, our teachings will be more authentic and more forceful. Students will be lucky to have a Chemistry teacher conducting experiments at home, a D & T teacher taking up robotics as a hobby, an Economics teacher trading stocks and commodities, a Mathematics teacher winning Mark Six 62% of the time, a Music teacher holding annual recitals, an Art teacher exhibitions and of course, an English teacher speaking English all the time like a native speaker etc. But do their personalities provide them with role-models to imitate?
Currently, the talk of the town is still the circulation of obscene photographs of the local celebrities. In the morning assembly yesterday, the Principal told the whole school that RS teachers would discuss the issue with them in class. He simply took things for granted. There had not been any prior notification (to us, RS teachers), not to mention briefings or consultations. So, should other teachers simply fold their hands and watch the RS teachers run the show? Should the issue be simply discussed in class and no more follow-up? This kind of top-down approach is very outdated! It only engenders superficial and decorative actions.
Let me ask one simple question. Should RS teachers download and examine those photographs before they (know what to) talk about them with the students? I have to confess that I have. So, I can say with confidence that those photographs have not been doctored as the entertainment spokesmen have claimed. I can tell my students that they are not artistic though I have to refrain myself from judging them obscene. They are neither doctored nor artistic. What more can I offer my students? Of course, I can draw up a long list of biblical quotations to criticize the circumstances when the photos were taken, the indecent behaviour of the 'lovers', the abuse of Internet skills, the selective prosecution of the police, the irresponsible reporting of the media etc. etc. But how much would my students swallow them? How much can I stimulate their reflection on the issue and make resolutions on their own lives? I regret to admit that there is not much. I am sure parents won't discuss with their children on their being forced to this compulsory exposure of obscene photos. They rely on us teachers to do the task for them. Sorry, the situation is beyond my control. Though the RME has supplied us with suggested teaching schemes, I throw up my hands.

My God, I am not a competent teacher, not even a decent one. I have failed Your faith in me in entrusting so many students in my hand. But of course, I have to continue. So help me Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment