Translate

Tuesday 11 March 2008

Adulterous woman

Yesterday, learning of an adulterous relationship between two friends in the parish, I was very much shaken. Why was I so much shaken? It is because suddenly I realize that adultery can be so close, so near. I felt like a survivor in an air-crash, having just rubbed shoulders with death.
Regrettably, among my friends and classmates, some Catholic, some non-Catholic, a number of them suffer from failed marriages because of extra-marital affairs. I would say it was understandable because some of them were too young, or because they had to work across the border, or because there were some chinks in the personality, or because it had been a mistake for the two of them to get married in the first place etc. In ancient times, women were mostly confined at home and adultery probably was a luxury for the rich, as demonstrated by a Chinese idiom:「妻不如妾,妾不如偷。」Nowadays, with greater independence, women are working hand in hand and shoulder to shoulder with men. Men are meeting more and more women in the workplace. More choices, more comparisons are inevitable. Many a man would easily harbour some adulterous fantasies and who knows, a sip of wine in time of boredom, and the floodgate is flown fully open.
I feel blessed because my god-brothers lead wonderful married lives and I share the joy with them. We are children of a more conservative generation.
Eric did not enter university in Hong Kong. Instead, he migrated to the States, got his degree, married an American lady who gave birth to four children for him. Every year, he sends me family photos around Christmas time. It is such a wonderfully warm family.
Felix is less fortunate. His first wife was not a Catholic and had suffered from cancer for a long, long time. Eventually she died, leaving behind a daughter. During the whole time, Felix took care of her and their daughter. He loved his wife like his own flesh and bone. After spending some years as a widower, God gave Felix another wife, this time a fervent Christian. Their marriage was the happiest news that boosted my morale in my last year in La Salle.
As for me, I feel blessed to be a diabetic. Erminia has been taking care of this fragile body of mine. With God's blessings, she gave birth to four children for me. Had I not been a diabetic, I would probably have been one of those adulterers myself.
We have heard too many negative stories. Let us not forget there are many more positive ones, including today's story in John 8 where Jesus forgave an adulterous woman caught in the very act. We, bystanders, have no right to cast the first stone because we are also sinners and adulterers lucky enough not to have been exposed openly. Rather, as adulterers in heart, let us be more sympathetic towards these fallen brothers and sister. Try to understand their plight. Pray to the merciful Lord to bring them home.

My God, forgive me of my adulterous fancies. May we discern the true love around us, around our beloved ones and Your love for us. May we not point our fingers at our fallen brothers but extend a peaceful hand to help them stand. May the merciful Lord show us the way to true love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment