Translate

Saturday 15 March 2008

Feast of St. Joseph, Husband of BVM

Since the Feast of St. Joseph, Husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary, March 19, falls into the Holy Week, the  Church celebrates today instead. St. Joseph is a very humble saint. He remains anonymous in the public life of Our Lord.
The season of Lent ends today. What have I achieved? How much has my heart been softened? How near have I approached my God? Not much, I am afraid but I will persist. May St. Joseph be my aid. He did not do extraordinary things. But with God, he did wonders.
In the Old Testament, Joseph, one of the sons of Jacob, was a dreamer. He was famous for his dreams as well as his ability to interpret dreams. Through interpreting the dreams of Pharaoh, Joseph was elevated from a prisoner to the post of the governor over the land. In the New Testament, Joseph also had a number of dreams in which he received God's revelations. When he discovered that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit, Joseph was pondering divorcing her according to the Law. God's angel told him in his dream to marry Mary and named the son Jesus (Matthew 1:20-21). His faith in God reckoned him righteous. When Herod the Great wanted to murder the new born king, an angel of the Lord told Joseph to bring the baby and his mother to flee to Egypt (Matthew 2:13). After the death of Herod, an angel of the Lord told Joseph to bring the baby and his mother to return to Israel (Matthew 2:20). They returned to Nazareth and remained anonymous for the rest of his life. A faithful and humble saint indeed.
Divorcing Mary according to the Law would not reckon Joseph righteous. Rather, it was his faith in the Lord that counted him righteous. When exhausting all possible options according to our previous experiences does not show us an exit, we have to take a leap of faith.
In hope he (Abraham) believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations (Romans 4:18).
For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? (Romans 8:24).
Our faith needs to be sustained by hope, a hope in the promised made by God who is forever faithful.

My God, my faith is weak probably I have not put sufficient hope in Your promises. I pray that You rekindle my hope in Your promises. May this hope strengthen my faith to continue my journey. I have reached the end of this Lent journey. I see it as the beginning of yet another quest ahead. Prod me on with Your kindness.
St. Joseph, pray for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment