Translate

Sunday 2 March 2008

Offering sacrifices to God

In all religions, people offer sacrifices to their gods. There are many purposes: to pacify them when disasters strike, to ask for favours in times of needs, to thank them for favours granted and to expiate their sins. Sometimes, the sins are so grave that only death would expiate them. Killing an animal in their stead was a clever way out.
Cain, the son of Adam and Eve, was the first to offer sacrifice to God.
In the course of time Cain brought to the LORD an offering of the fruit of the ground (Genesis 4:3). Then came Abel his brother.
and Abel brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and his offering (Genesis 4:4).
But what makes an offering acceptable to God? The following research may throw light on the question.
ObedienceAnd Samuel said, "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
as in obeying the voice of the LORD?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
and to hearken than the fat of rams
(1 Samuel 15:22).
An open ear and to do God's willSacrifice and offering thou dost not desire;
but thou hast given me an open ear.
Burnt offering and sin offering thou hast not required.
Then I said, "Lo, I come; in the roll of the book it is written of me;
I delight to do thy will, O my God; thy law is within my heart.
(Psalm 40:6-8)
A broken & contrite heartFor thou hast no delight in sacrifice;
were I to give a burnt offering, thou wouldst not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise
(Psalm 51:16-17).
To do justiceTo do righteousness and justice
is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice
(Proverbs 21:3).
Mercy & the knowledge of GodFor I desired mercy, and not sacrifice;
and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
 (Hosea 6:6, KJV). [RSV uses steadfast love instead.] This is confirmed by Jesus in Matthew 9:13; 12:7.

My God, thank You for allowing me to know what is acceptable to You. Open my ears so that I may obey and do Your will. Justice and mercy are Yours and let me imitate with a contrite heart. Tame my arrogant heart in Lent and thereafter. May I be able to dwell in Your house and praise You forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment