Translate

Tuesday 4 March 2008

New heavens and a new earth

It is very comforting to read the last chapters of a prophetic book. The prophet would speak many words of comfort because the end is just around the corner. Isaiah 65 is the last but one chapter. It is full of consoling words.
When Luke tells us how the Father longed for the return of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:20), he was retelling what God declared in the book of Isaiah.
I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me;
I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me.
I said, "Here am I, here am I," to a nation that did not call on my name.
I spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people,
who walk in a way that is not good, following their own devices
(Isaiah 65:1-2).
In all His wisdom, God knows very well that He has to take the initiative to deliver sinners. Otherwise, nobody will be redeemed. All of them will be lost into the hand of Satan. God spreads out His hands all the day to reach out to sinners. That was why Jesus chose to be crucified. On the cross, he declared to the world how much he wanted us to seek him, to find him and he will always be there, however undeserving we are.
Isaiah continues to show us two different situations for the righteous (Isaiah 65:9-10) and the sinners (Isaiah 65:11-15). The decision is for us to make. To remain in sinful states (deaf to God's call) or to seek God for reconciliation. Make up your mind now. If we do, we will be able to enjoy the new heavens and the new earth.
For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people;
no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress
(Isaiah 65:17-19).
But what is so good about this new heavens and the new earth?
No more shall there be in it an infant that lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not fill out his days,
for the child shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
They shall build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
They shall not labor in vain, or bear children for calamity;
for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the LORD, and their children with them.
Before they call I will answer, while they are yet speaking I will hear
(Isaiah 65:20-24).
Even if you are not delighted in longevity, you should be satisfied to see that you do not labour in vain. This is the answer to Ecclesiastes who declared that all labour is in vain. Everything is vanity. But the most reassuring of all is God's promise to answer us before we call, to hear us before we speak of our worries. What else do we need? The last verse of Isaiah 65 echoes Isaiah 11:6 & 9. It gives us a glimpse of the peaceful Kingdom of Heaven which our Heavenly Father has prepared for us from the foundation of the world (Matthew 25:34). The decision is for us to make.

My God, You have shown us Your loving care beyond what we dare to dream. Let me arise and return to You, loving Father. I have sinned against heaven and before You. Allow me a tiny room, even at the threshold of Your house that I may behold Your merciful countenance. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment