Translate

Monday 17 March 2008

Fighting battles

When Fr. John Kwan revealed, in the Prayer of the Faithful, that the 7-year-old boy who died mysteriously with flu symptoms was in fact a Catholic in our parish, I sensed that death was close and near. Symphorian, my youngest son, studies in the AM session of the same school the 7-year-old boy studied. It was the first primary school to close because of the outbreak of a minor flu endemic. EDB closed all the primary schools and kindergartens the next day. Death is doubly close. This morning, when George, my god-son, called me to ask for the phone number of the parish priest, because his mother-in-law had just passed away, I was more certain that death was really close and near.

My DM has passed the two decade mark. Complications start surfacing. The first one is a small scratch on my left ankle which has not yet recovered since the first day of the Lunar New Year. I have been depressed and withdrawn for more than a decade and my two elder sons have suffered most and lived like fatherless for that period of time. I began to emerge when I started teaching in Shung Tak because a new environment and new battle cries demand a call to pump up my energy. The battle to fight for EMI status for Shung Tak gave me a new lease of life. The diploma course in Catholic Biblical Institute gives me another boosting shot. I thank God for all these gifts. Though the battle ahead is a losing one, I will put up a hard fight till the end.

In fighting a battle, we can choose a hard line or a soft one. Jesus, the Suffering Servant, has chosen the soft line.
He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street;
a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench;
he will faithfully bring forth justice
(Isaiah 42:2-3).
Currently, a battle is being fought in Shung Tak to prevent her from downfall. Some parents and teachers are taking a hard line to achieve their goal. The CEO and SMC are resisting. Nobody can predict the outcome. I don't know if justice can ever be brought forth. May God see us through. Amen.

My God, we are Your unfaithful servants. Most of the time, our will be done instead of Yours and we make a mess out of the whole incident. Teach us the virtue of patience. Give us a glimpse of hope to quench our impatience. I put my trust in You. Carry us through so that we may help our students grow and develop according to Your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment