Translate

Wednesday 12 March 2008

The Truth will make you free

Today, we continue to read John 8:31-42. By coincidence, we come upon the topic of freedom again.
Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word ἐὰν ὑμεῖς μείνητε ἐν τῷ λόγῳ τῷ ἐμῷ , you are truly my disciples,
and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
(John 8:31-32)
The word μείνητε means 'you stay, remain, abide' etc. If we abide in Jesus' teaching, we are truly his disciples. Then we will know the truth and the truth will make us free. However, according to the analysis of Erich Fromm, we are afraid of freedom! We don't want to be free but prefer the comfortable state of addiction. Therefore, very often, we are afraid to know the truth and being ignorant is so comfortable until, of course, it is too late! Then we regret and continue regretting and doing nothing to improve the situation. Taking action is so risky and learning the truth so painful. So, we simply deny the truth! It is not my fault. It is their fault that causes so many troubles.

What was the reaction of the Jews?
We are descendants of Abraham, and have never been in bondage to any one. (John 8:33) What? How could they forget the Egyptian bondage, the Babylonian Captivity? In fact, in Jesus' time, they were under the Roman rule and had lost their national independence for more than 400 years! How could they be so blind to these historical realities, not to mention the spiritual situation? Blatant denial!
So, what is the truth?
Jesus said to him (Thomas), "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή no one comes to the Father, but by me (John 14:6). Further down,
Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth ὁ λόγος ὁ σὸς ἀλήθειά ἐστιν (John 17:17). Therefore, Jesus is the truth. He is the Word of God made flesh (John 1:14) and God's Word, of course, is wisdom and truth. This truth brings us life in God. Jesus shows us the way. He is the way, the Torah himself. In the Old Testament, God gave the Israelites the Torah to help them lead a holy life, a life full of freedom. God had already given the Israelites Jesus in the form of the Torah, but they didn't recognise that it was Jesus. They only saw two tablets of stone. They had been following Jesus for more than a thousand years when they kept the Torah. Now, Jesus came in person to lead us the way.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light
 (Matthew 11:29-30).
Therefore, the freedom Jesus gives us is easy and light.

My God, through Your love, You gave us freedom. But it was such a heavy responsibility. The burden was very crashing. In Your mercy, You sent us Jesus and bid us to take up our cross. I know that You do not give us a cross too heavy to bear. Strengthen my limbs that I may stand up again to continue this journey home. May I abide in Jesus and take up his yoke, learn his humility and find rest for my soul. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment