Translate

Monday 31 March 2008

Feast of Annunciation

The Feast of Annunciation is usually celebrated on March 25. Nine months after Archangel Gabriel had visited the Blessed Virgin Mary, getting her consent to work with God to deliver the Saviour to this world, Jesus was born and we celebrate Christmas. This year, the feast falls within Easter Octave. Therefore, the Catholic Church celebrates the feast today. I was baptised on the Feast of Annunciation. Therefore, each year, I celebrate my baptism anniversary as well.

In my early years after baptism, I was not very devoted to the Blessed Virgin and did not spend time meditating on her virtues. Our Lady is humble and patient. It is one of her virtues to be able to wait patiently for things to unfold. She has never put up any obstacles for God's work to be done. But when situation arises, she is courageous enough to 'force' the hand of God to work, as illustrated in the story of Cana wedding banquet. Indeed, it was also God's will she sought. Teaching in La Salle College, I was privileged to be assigned to supervise a praesidium of the Legion of Mary. I had a good chance to imbue in the spirituality of Marian devotion for 19 years.
Today, we read of Hebrews 10.
Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,
"Sacrifices and offerings thou hast not desired,
but a body hast thou prepared for me;
in burnt offerings and sin offerings thou hast taken no pleasure.
Then I said, `Lo, I have come to do thy will, O God,'
as it is written of me in the roll of the book."
(Hebrews 10:5-7)
God has also prepared a body for me. I have come to this world to do God's will.
Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your (Gabriel's) word. (Luke 1:38)
What is the secret of success of the Blessed Virgin? She might not be very intelligent according to worldly standard. Whatever she did not understand (But who can understand God's actions?),
But Mary kept all these things, pondering them in her heart (Luke 2:19, 51).
Thank Luke for revealing her secret.

My sweet Jesus, You have chosen wisely Our Lady to be Your mother. You are generous in giving her to be our mother as well. Pray that we, her worthless children, may imitate her examples in cooperating with You to redeem the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment