Translate

Saturday 12 July 2008

God prefers Judah to Israel

Ephraim and Manasseh were sons of Joseph. When Joshua settled the tribes of Israel among the land of Canaan, there were 13 tribes. The Levites were set aside to serve God and they did not inherit any land. So, the land was divided among the remaining 12 tribes. In a sense, Joseph obtained a double portion of land because of his two sons.
After the death of Solomon, the kingdom of Israel was divided into two. 10 tribes (in the book of 1 Kings, they are referred to as 'all Israel') followed Jeroboam the son of Nebat and made him their king (1 Kings 12:20). At first, they made Tirzah the capital and later Omri built the city of Samaria and moved the capital there. Only the tribes of Judah and Benjamin followed the house of David. The tribe of Benjamin was reduced to very few people because of the crime they committed against a Levite (Judges 19-21). Therefore, the southern kingdom was called Judah, keeping Jerusalem their capital.
Therefore, in the book of Hosea, Ephraim, Samaria, Jacob and Israel all refer to Israel. Though Hosea prophesized for Israel, he also mentioned Judah and somehow revealed that God prefers Judah to Israel.
But I will have pity on the house of Judah, and I will deliver them by the LORD their God; I will not deliver them by bow, nor by sword, nor by war, nor by horses, nor by horsemen (Hosea 1:7).
Though you play the harlot, O Israel, let not Judah become guilty (Hosea 4:15a).
Ephraim has encompassed me with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit;
but Judah is still known by God, and is faithful to the Holy One
(Hosea 11:12).
Of course, Judah was not without her share of faults. Hosea 5 is a very damning chapter, passing God's judgment on them all. Against Judah, we have the following.
The pride of Israel testifies to his face;
Ephraim shall stumble in his guilt;
Judah also shall stumble with them
(Hosea 5:5).
The princes of Judah have become like those who remove the landmark;
upon them I will pour out my wrath like water
(Hosea 5:10).
Therefore I am like a moth to Ephraim, and like dry rot to the house of Judah.
When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah his wound, then Ephraim went to Assyria, and sent to the great king. But he is not able to cure you or heal your wound.
For I will be like a lion to Ephraim, and like a young lion to the house of Judah. I, even I, will rend and go away, I will carry off, and none shall rescue
(Hosea 5:12-14).

Of course, God would not give up Israel.
How can I give you up, O Ephraim!
How can I hand you over, O Israel!
How can I make you like Admah!
How can I treat you like Zeboiim!
My heart recoils within me, my compassion grows warm and tender.
I will not execute my fierce anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come to destroy
(Hosea 11:8-9).
Hosea devoted the last chapter of his prophecy to tell us that God would restore them so that they might bear fruit. But Israel has vanished from human history after the exile to Assyria. Therefore, Hosea must be talking about the new Israel, the Church.
Before finishing the book of Hosea, let me bring up one more famous quotation taken from Hosea.
Shall I ransom them from the power of Sheol?
Shall I redeem them from Death?
O Death, where are your plagues?
O Sheol, where is your destruction?
Compassion is hid from my eyes
(Hosea 13:14 RSV).ἐκ χειρὸς ᾅδου ῥύσομαι αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐκ θανάτου λυτρώσομαι αὐτούς, ποῦ ἡ δίκη σου, θάνατε; ποῦ τὸ κέντρον σου, ᾅδη; παράκλησις κέκρυπται ἀπὸ ὀφθαλμῶν μου. (Hosea 13:14 LXX).
O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
ποῦ σου, θάνατε, τὸ νῖκος; ποῦ σου, θάνατε, τὸ κέντρον; (1 Corinthians 15:55)
The RSV translation comes from the Hebrew text. The word 'your plagues' is דְבָרֶיךָ (transliterated as devareika). 'ka' means 'your'.
In Septuagint, it becomes 'your judgment, cause, vengeance and penalty' ἡ δίκη σου. It seems to have been corrupted. The 'varei' sound after 'de' is missing.
Paul probably was doing some word-play and changed it to 'your victory' τὸ νῖκος to suit his purpose.
When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (taken from Isaiah 25:8)
"O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?"
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ
(1 Corinthians 15:54-57).
Paul changed the Isaiah LXX text from κατέπιεν ὁ θάνατος ἰσχύσας to κατεπόθη ὁ θάνατος εἰς νῖκος.

My dear Advocate, God punishes and God heals. Through Jesus, death is defeated. Our eternal life is guaranteed. May we become Your ambassadors of peace to bring this good news to all our neighbours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment