Translate

Monday 28 July 2008

Disappointments of God

I am a simple man, a simple-minded man as well. I want to lead a simple life. I lost most of my energy after I have developed DM. My wife was young and my children were small. So, I need to conserve whatever was left and wish to keep the family intact. Of course, whatever is lost is lost. What I have been trying to do is to contain the damages. One of the main strategies is to keep my expectations to the minimum. I have to admit that it is not fair to my children and my students. They have a huge potential in store. They need somebody to prod them on.
On the other hand, God had put great expectations on His Chosen People. In Jeremiah 13 I read today, I find a symbolic act of God. He told Jeremiah to buy a linen waistcloth and put it on his loin (Jeremiah 13:1). Later He commanded Jeremiah to hide this waistcloth in a cleft of rock in Euphrates (Jeremiah 13:4). After many days, God commanded Jeremiah to take the waistcloth back. Look, it was spoiled and good for nothing (Jeremiah 13:7).
For as the waistcloth clings to the loins of a man, so I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah cling to me, says the LORD, that they might be for me a people, a name, a praise, and a glory, but they would not listen (Jeremiah 13:11).
The Chosen People was as intimate as a waistcloth to God. Yet, they failed Him, did not listen to Him and became good for nothing. In the end, they perished and were exiled and vanished from history. As a sick man, I dare not enter into intimate relationships with people except for my wife. I speak English to my bosses in order to block any close interaction! I put no expectations on my children and students because I cannot afford to be disappointed, to be emotional. It is detrimental to my health. I am selfish indeed. Please, cheer me up, my students. You have a bright future ahead of you. Actualize your potentials to bring me a tiny bit of happiness. My fragile body will be greatly animated when you behave decently.

My dear Advocate, tell me that I am wrong in expecting little from my children and my students. Have pity on my plights. You have sent me Saturnia and Symphorian. They are signs of my redemption. May all my children and all my students lead a life pleasing to You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment