Translate

Thursday 17 July 2008

The best investment

Erminia and Saturnia will go on a pilgrimage to Italy tomorrow. Hilary came home to have dinner with us. Wulstan returned home early but not early enough to have dinner together. These days when the elder sons are grown up, it is not easy to gather the whole family under the same roof. I was elated and intoxicated myself a bit with two glasses of red wine. Therefore, I will not be long tonight.

We read Isaiah 26. I believe it must be a collection of several oracles. It begins like this.
In that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:
"We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith may enter in."
(Isaiah 26:1-2)
The passage proclaims a universal salvation. The passage refers to Jerusalem, the holy city, where the righteous nations may enter. Jerusalem is the holy city of God. It symbolizes the Kingdom of God where only the righteous may enter. Jerusalem can also refers to eternal life which only the righteous may enjoy.
Once again, readers are reminded of the fact that it is God who fulfils our good will, our good work.
O LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us, thou hast wrought for us all our works (Isaiah 26:12)
we were with child, we writhed, we have as it were brought forth wind.
We have wrought no deliverance in the earth, and the inhabitants of the world have not fallen
(Isaiah 26:18).
Therefore, Isaiah's message was a precursor of Paul's theology of justification and grace. Before God, we are like pregnant women in labour. However, our labour brings forth only wind. It is nothing in reality. It is nothing in God's sight.
Therefore, what is the best way to invest our effort and our labour? In which area should we work so as to maximize the benefit? In seeking God's righteousness.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light
(Matthew 11:28-30).
Yes, learn from Jesus and take up his yoke. His is the obedience to God's will.

My dear Advocate, I offer up this summer holiday in Your care. Bless my work and may it be an acceptable sacrifice to find favour in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment