Translate

Wednesday 23 July 2008

I am/will be with you

We will spend the next two weeks reading Jeremiah who carried out his mission as a prophet in the last four decades of the southern kingdom. Jeremiah was a prototype of the Suffering Servant. The word of God which he passed on to the people was contrary to the mainstream ideology of the days. From Jeremiah we hear God's promise of a new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31). His sufferings made him a pre-figure of the Suffering Christ.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations
(Jeremiah 1:5).
We find a similar saying in Isaiah.
Listen to me, O coastlands, and hearken, you peoples from afar.
The LORD called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he named my name
(Isaiah 49:1).
God appoints each of us to our station of life. Some work to prominence while some remain anonymous throughout their life. It is up to us to discover our own destiny and live it well. But how shall we proceed? God promises to accompany us.
Like Moses, Jeremiah knew his own shortcomings.
Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth (Jeremiah 1:6).
Some people never know their true self and live in ignorance. They fantasize about their own greatness and enjoy such an illusion. It is rather impossible for them to lead a fulfilled life. However, even equipped with a true knowledge of self, we may not have the will and the strength to live our destiny to its fullness. Where will help come from? Some seek it in personal network, teaming up with other people. Some seek God.
Be not afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD (Jeremiah 1:8).
A search in the Old Testament will yield the following people whom God promised to stay with. Jeremiah outran them all.
  1. Isaac (Genesis 26:3, 26:24)
  2. Jacob (Genesis 28:15, 31:3)
  3. Moses (Exodus 3:12, 4:12)
  4. Joshua (Deuteronomy 31:23; Joshua 1:5, 3:7)
  5. Gideon (Judges 6:16)
  6. Isaiah (Isaiah 41:10, 43:2, 5)
  7. Jeremiah (Jeremiah 1:8, 1:19, 15:20, 30:11, 42:11, 46:28)
  8. Zerubbabel & Joshua (Haggai 1:13, 2:4)
This is our advantage. With God on our side, we are able to face up whatever difficulties.
See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant
(Jeremiah 1:10)
Jeremiah was destined to stand up against the whole kingdom of Judah, to combat her single-handedly.
Before we leave Jeremiah today, I would like to document a word-play found in the next two verses.
And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Jeremiah, what do you see?" And I said, "I see a rod of almond."
Then the LORD said to me, "You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it."
(Jeremiah 1:11-12)
The word-play is lost in all translations. It is "almond שָׁקֵד" and "watch over שֹׁקֵד".
An almond rod becomes a symbol of God's watching over the performance of His own word. Isn't that amazing, or rather mysterious?

My dear Advocate, enlighten us of our potentials and shortcomings. Grant us the candour to face our true self. Be with us to live out our destiny. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment