Translate

Wednesday 30 July 2008

The M.O. of God

Israel and Judah were relatively tiny and insignificant kingdoms in the political arena of the Middle East in the eighth century B.C. They identified themselves as the Chosen People of Yahweh, who was one god among the many gods in the region. Yet, they were very conscious of their weaknesses.
It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love upon you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples;
but it is because the LORD loves you, and is keeping the oath which he swore to your fathers, that the LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you from the house of bondage, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt
(Deuteronomy 7:7-8).
God loves them. This is an understanding after reflections on historical events of many generations. There is an evolution of understanding and the Old Testament is a record of such an understanding.
Yahweh did not choose any big nations because He wanted to demonstrate His sole sovereignty. It is not human efforts but solely Yahweh's work. This is demonstrated in the story of Gideon. Gideon gathered 32,000 men to fight against Midianites and Amalekites. But Yahweh said.
The LORD said to Gideon, "The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, `My own hand has delivered me.' (Judges 7:2)
This is the Modus Operandi (M.O.) of God. He works with a small number of people. In the end, the army was reduced to 300 and Gideon won the battle against the Midianites and Amalekites. The size of the army was unknown in numbers.
And the Midianites and the Amalekites and all the people of the East lay along the valley like locusts for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand which is upon the seashore for multitude (Judges 7:12).
Today, in the reading of Jeremiah 15, we find a single man chosen to fight against the whole nation. Once again, the Modus Operandi of Yahweh.
Woe is me, my mother, that you bore me, a man of strife and contention to the whole land (Jeremiah 15:10a).
This is not the perspective from God but from a man. So, sometimes it is no fun to work for Yahweh. Did Jeremiah enjoy the situation? Obviously not. So, what sustained his mission?
Thy words were found, and I ate them, and thy words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O LORD, God of hosts (Jeremiah 15:16).
Jeremiah was able to find not only consolation but joy in the words of God. He felt joyful because he was called by God. The Psalmist also said the following.
More to be desired are they (the precepts, ordinances of God) than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. (Psalm 19:10)
How sweet are thy words (the ordinances) to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! (Psalm 119:103)
Do I find joy in the words of God? Do I feel comfortable or joyful because I am a Catholic?
I think my answer would have been negative, had I not experienced any difficulties in my life. There would not have been any chances for God to show His mercy on me. And here is God's promise to Jeremiah.
And I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the LORD.
I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked,
and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless
(Jeremiah 15:20-21).
Therefore, have no fear of adversities. Embrace difficult times. Then we will be able to see that God is with us. He enjoys working with the underdogs, the weak and the lowly. He loves the humble.

My dear Advocate, allow us to taste the sweetness of Your wisdom and to enjoy the difficulties we land ourselves in. We do not look for troubles but they will always seek us out. Be with us in time of adversities. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment