Translate

Saturday 26 July 2008

Feast of Ss. Joachim & Anne, parents of Our Lady

Today, the Church celebrates the Feast of Ss. Joachim & Anne. The Catholic Church has this tradition, but of course, it is highly unlikely that the parents of Our Lady or any other of their contemporaries would deliberately leave any historical evidence for the future generation. Don't forget, even Christmas, the supposed birthday of Jesus is artificial in the sense that the date used to be a feast of Apollo, the sun-god of the Roman Empire. The Church Christianized it when the Roman Empire accepted Christianity. To be realistic, who would bother to keep a record of the birthday of a carpenter's son? (It will be a historical treasure if archeologists are able to retrieve records of the census recorded in Luke 2.)
Why does the Church celebrate this feast? I think it shows that the Church cares very much about parenting. We do not know how Joachim & Anne had brought up Mary. All we have is the fruit of their parenting, a Mary who would become the mother of Jesus and who would say,
Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word (Luke 1:38).
I understand that parenting is a very very complicated topic and I have to admit that being a father of four does not make me any more knowledgeable. Each of my children is unique. No previous experience from the elder children makes the next assignment any easier. And when I see my students, it aches my heart to see that quite a number of them are victims of poor parenting. Many parents are hard-pressed to make ends meet and are unable to give their children some quality time. Many of them are probably victims of poor parenting too. I have seen over-protective parents help cover up their children's lies. I have seen demanding parents trample on their children's confidence. I don't understand why they send their children to us if they are not prepared to cooperate with us.
What annoyed me most are students who waste their time fooling around and dating. I am not conservative but I don't think dating is appropriate for secondary students. I am afraid many of them are trying to run away from less than loving families. There is a library of English books and videos to meet the needs of new English requirements. There are librarians to take charge of the room. But unfortunately in the holidays when very few people are around, a boy librarian covers up the window and stays inside with his girlfriend ... I can only say that such an act is not only abusive but also stupid. He has abused the trust of teachers. He is stupid in ignoring the consequences. But ignoring consequences does not mean that there is no consequence! Obviously, more moral education is needed and my students have a lot to learn before they can be responsible parents themselves.
In reading Jeremiah today, I find that many parents are indeed living in illusion.
Do not trust in these deceptive words: 'This is the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD.' (Jeremiah 7:4)
Shung Tak is truly a band one EMI school. Yet just putting your children inside Shung Tak does not guarantee them a bright future. You and your children have a part to play too.
For if you truly amend your ways and your doings, if you truly execute justice one with another,
if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own hurt,
then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers for ever
(Jeremiah 7:5-7).
The Chosen People of God need to obey the commandments, to do justice and practise charity. Only then can they enjoy the blessings from God. My students, you need to play your part well in order to enjoy a bright future. No pain, no gain. Simple as such! Parents, you are all grown-ups like me. I am not qualified to be your teacher. I can only hope that you play your role well so that your children may enjoy a bright future.

My dear Advocate, help me be a decent enough father. Guide my students on Your path of truth and grace. Inspire parents to rear their children according to Your precepts. Ss. Joachim & Anne, pray for the parents of my students. Support them in their daily hard work. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment