Translate

Wednesday 2 July 2008

When misfortunes fall on your neighbours

As a teacher, I see a lot of things happening to my students. I congratulate them for their good performance in school and in public examinations. I feel sad for some of them who waste away their youthfulness in playing online games, dating and copying homework. Of course, I also am a father. What I see among my students would also be happening to my children. That is one of the reasons why I am so stern towards my students. I don't want my children not to make the best use of their talents given by God. Neither do I also want to see my students wasting their potentials.  「見賢思齊焉,見不賢而內自省也。」 【論語‧里仁】When misfortunes fall on your neighbours, we should be alarmed and reflect.

When Israel fell in the hands of the Assyrians, people in Judah should be alarmed and the prophets were the first to cry wolf. Amos came from Judah and warned against the Israelites who did not listen. Judeans picked up his warnings and collected them into the book of Amos. A series of 7 rhetorical questions (Amos 3:3-6) finish with his mission statement.
Surely the Lord GOD does nothing, without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.
The lion has roared; who will not fear?
The Lord GOD has spoken; who can but prophesy?
(Amos 3:7-8)
Amos began his judgment pronouncements to 8 nations. Yet his focus was Israel.
Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, who are in the mountain of Samaria,
who oppress the poor, who crush the needy,
who say to their husbands, 'Bring, that we may drink!'
(Amos 4:1).
Who were these cows of Basha? The rich in Israel. They exploited the poor and the needy.
Who were the husbands? Yahweh.
What has this disrespectful wife done, ordering her husband to bring drinks? Offering sacrifices to idols (Amos 4:4-5). What was worse, she ignored the warnings Yahweh gave them (Amos 4:6-11). Droughts, famines, wars and killings of the young did not deter them from doing evils. So, Yahweh declared the death sentence to Israel and wiped her out of history.
Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel;
because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel!
(Amos 4:12).
"Prepare to meet your God, O Israel!" How terrible it sounds!
So, what have we learned from Israel?
God had been patient and given them warnings in concrete actions. Yet, their stubbornness brought them annihilation. My children and my students, don't think that you are still young and can afford to fool around. God slew the young men with sword to warn the people of Israel! Don't think that you are the future of the society and everyone will treat you leniently. Rather, when your peers meet any misfortune or fail the examinations, it is time for you to reflect on your situations. As for myself, my illness has given my friends enough warnings to take care of their own health. The marriage failures of some of my classmates have reminded me to love and communicate better with my wife. In times of difficulties, the sufferings of the friends I know give me strength to hold on.

My Advocate, make me instrument of Your love and peace. May we open our eyes to discern the message You send us in the life stories of our friends and neighbours. May we work towards a greater solidarity among our colleagues. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment